Written your own book?

Discussion in 'Books' started by TravisM, Apr 3, 2014.

1. TravisM

TravisM Come Here Often? Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Has anyone here ever written their own book? I'm actually interested in writing a book, not sure what, maybe a novel or something.

I've been interested in just trying to write an e-book and offering it up for free on Amazon or other sites, and I was wondering if anyone here has done so or is considering doing it?

2. Abrams

Abrams Unstoppable Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Tried. But I read few chapters and considered it rubbish. :shrug:

Maybe I'll try again someday. I think now I will start with some short stories/fanfics to enhance my workshop. Before trying whole book... I have few plots on mind.

3. forgotten in space

forgotten in space Champion Super Mod

Ratings:
    +239 / 19 / -7
    if a MA thesis counts, yeah :o

a friend of mine from college actually wrote one (on house economics, I think) and has it on a number of online platforms.

4. Iris

Iris Superhero Member Admin

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    Nah, probably would be way to better.
    I did written a few stuff and pages somewhere at the end of the high-school.

5. Shrim

Shrim Come Here Often? Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I honestly have no idea if I'm capable of writing anything good. I can barely write in a forum, so I can only imagine how awful my writing would be with an actual story. Also, my timing with writing a story, is just bad.

Maybe one day, when I hone my skill I'll do it. But sadly I doubt I have the skill anyways.

6. forgotten in space

Ratings:
    +239 / 19 / -7
    A friend of mine from Uni who last year travelled through Asia for 4 months with her boyfriend wrote a children's book about it :| Like, with a real legit publisher. And the book launch is on this 7th of June. have to go there :eek: :eek:

7. Iris

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    [quote author=forgotten in space link=topic=595.msg36170#msg36170 date=1401132761]
    A friend of mine from Uni who last year travelled through Asia for 4 months with her boyfriend wrote a children's book about it :| Like, with a real legit publisher. And the book launch is on this 7th of June. have to go there :eek: :eek:
    [/quote]
    That's nice! Getting a publisher to work with you is a big deal :yesyes:
    Make sure to get a signature. You never know how much it will worth on ebay after awhile / :tard2:

8. forgotten in space

Ratings:
    +239 / 19 / -7
    [quote author=Iris link=topic=595.msg36175#msg36175 date=1401164801]
    That's nice! Getting a publisher to work with you is a big deal :yesyes:
    Make sure to get a signature. You never know how much it will worth on ebay after awhile / :tard2:
    [/quote]

She's my friend, I already have her name signed on stuff :lol: My graduation ribbons :thumbsup:
    But of course that's personal and not going on ebay :tongue3:

9. Iris

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    [quote author=forgotten in space link=topic=595.msg36303#msg36303 date=1401307857]
    She's my friend, I already have her name signed on stuff :lol: My graduation ribbons :thumbsup:
    But of course that's personal and not going on ebay :tongue3:
    [/quote]
    One of my neighbors in romania was language teacher in high-school on the time when my mom was studying and she written, old being, a book. Gave me a signed copy, but with all the shame i say i never got around to completely read it. Seemed just like an endless, tormenting avalanche of bitter descriptions of the town (more like village) we lived in.

:shrug:

10. Iris

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    Actually now that i think better, my private romanian tutor from high-school also published a book. Got a copy from him as well. :o

11. Abrams

Abrams Unstoppable Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a plot idea... but I think chapters I wrote sucks. :cry:

12. forgotten in space

Ratings:
    +239 / 19 / -7
    [quote author=forgotten in space link=topic=595.msg36170#msg36170 date=1401132761]
    [/quote]

tomorrow :clap:

13. Iris

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    [quote author=Abrams link=topic=595.msg36768#msg36768 date=1401996793]
    I have a plot idea... but I think chapters I wrote sucks. :cry:
    [/quote]
    We often tend to judge ourselves/ our work too harsh. Keep on writing.

[quote author=forgotten in space link=topic=595.msg36791#msg36791 date=1402082324]
    [/quote]
    :)

14. AndrewT

AndrewT Come Here Often? Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've started one when i was a teenager but gave up after 10 pages. It was about a plane crush survivor on a mysterious island...sounds familiar right? :) I've realized that there are too many books like that.

15. Iris

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    [quote author=forgotten in space link=topic=595.msg36791#msg36791 date=1402082324]
    [/quote]
    So, how it went? :mistrust:

16. PaulM

PaulM Come Here Often? Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have actually. Both my girlfriend and I have, between us, maybe 10 or so books on Amazon. Mine is mostly drivel that I know people would buy. Nothing serious; rescue dog bios, weight loss tips, weird horse facts, would you rather, etc. I'm on my third re-write of a children's story we'll be putting on Amazon right now. The books are pretty stupid, but people buy them. We don't make a ton of money off of them, but we also live in Nicaragua now, so those US dollars go a long way here. I'd say we make enough each day to offset the beers we drink in the evening.

Now, for real writing, I have a hard time. I've started my novel over and over and barely have my outline done. Real writing can be difficult.

17. Britanica

Britanica Junior Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wrote one book earlier this year. It took about 4 months and is around 47,000 words.
    I did fictional romance with a touch of erotic (nothing too bad lol). I had fun writing it and got stuck a few times but pushed through it. If you want to go for it, do it! It is a great accomplishment to say you wrote a book even if it doesn't sell good.

18. Vengeance

Vengeance Rookie User Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sadly, not yet. I've been slowly working on a novel off and on for several months now. I need to get back to working on it to finish the latest 40,000 or more words that I intend to finish to have the final tally of 70-80,000 words that is recommended to have a book.

19. TinaScorpio

TinaScorpio Rookie User Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have two stories that I have been working on for a few years, the outline is done and character sketches done for each character and have parts of chapters typed. I just need to do some research to fill in the blank spots.

20. Iris

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    wow! Good luck with that.
    "few years" it's a lot of work.