Why are celebs so important?

Discussion in 'Grown Ups' started by Stacey, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Stacey

Stacey Come Here Often? Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't get why people are so famous if they're a celebrity. The fact they get paid millions of dollars is crazy. I know they're essentially making movies/tv/music/ and whatever to appeal to their audiences and to make people happy, but do they deserve to make $50 million to star in a movie? Or guest star in a movie?

One thing that got on my nerves was Kim Kardasions "Break the internet" photos. Because I hear she was paid $47 million or something along those lines. Seriously, why do people have to pay that much for junk like this? I can understand doing nude photos for thousands of dollars or something, but $40 some million is messed up.

Instead of wasting time on nonsense like that, why don't we give most of that money to people in need? Or donate it to a charity? Kim Kardasion is rich enough, she doesn't need more damn money and she doesn't need more recognition.

This goes for any celeb who makes boat loads of cash making movies and doing other pointless shit most of us wont even care about. It's sad seeing doctors, police, firefighters, and so on, getting paid a fraction of what a celeb can make in a day. It's sad and really depresses me.

What do you think about celebs and them making so much money for doing absolutely nothing?

2. Rocklin

Rocklin T&G Senior Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some do donate to charity and all but I doubt they all do. I agree with the salaries though. Getting x million dollars for a movie is... alright then. I highly doubt they work so hard they they need to be paid that much.

3. beer

beer T&G Elite Moderator

Ratings:
    +181 / 22 / -3
    idgaf but some are genuine talents, mostly musicians but I'd count a handful of actors among the genuine talents too. I guess they deserve the fame and fortune.

don't get the general public's fascination with people like Kim Kardashian, famous for a leaked home sex video ? pff

related : Kim Kardashian 'is offered $1million to spend an evening partying with Saudi Arabian prince' :shrug:

Justin Beiber's net worth : 200 million :tard:

how's this for real talent ?
    Guthrie Govan 'Fives' Cover Li sa X Japanese 8 year old girl)

4. forgotten in space

forgotten in space Champion Super Mod

Ratings:
    +238 / 19 / -7
    I don't mind stars/sportsmen earning a lot of money, because it is an instance, unfortunately rare, where the actual talent/performer is being well compensated. I'd rather the money goes to them than to douche moguls and suits. The problem is that they're an anomaly within the creative industries,where the rest of the workforce get to do what they love in return for massive workloads, shit conditions, little to no pay and complete precariousness, while CEOs get everything.

5. Scorpion

Scorpion Junior Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You have to look at the situation in a different way. Let's say I'm producing a movie and the script is just ok. I could go and hire some unknown actor or even a B or C list actor and they might do a great job. The movie gets released on limited screens because I'm using average talent. The movie makes $5 million dollars. Now lets say I go and get Tom Cruise, Matt Damon, or Leonardo DiCaprio and get my movie released on every screen in the country. Now I get the fans of that actor to go see the movie and now I make $150 - $250 million.

These actors get paid that much because they've built a brand with their talent. People believe they are the character they play in a movie because of the talent they have. People are touched by their performances. Then look at from that view. You put me in your movie and I'm bringing a fan base of say 50 million people that might go see it. Multiply that times $10 a head at the theatre and that's $500 million dollars possible. If only half show up you get $250 million. I've made your movie great because I was in it. I want my cut. That's capitalism.