True Detective

Discussion in 'Movies & Tv Shows' started by Iris, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Iris

Iris Superhero Member Admin

Ratings:
    +493 / 53 / -10
    True Detective is an American anthology crime drama television series created and written by Nic Pizzolatto. The series, broadcast by the premium cable network HBO in the United States, premiered on January 12, 2014. Each season of the series is structured as a disparate, self-contained narrative, employing new cast ensembles and following various sets of characters and settings.

The first season, starring Matthew McConaughey, Woody Harrelson, Michelle Monaghan, Michael Potts, and Tory Kittles, takes place in Louisiana and follows a pair of Louisiana State Police homicide detectives, and their pursuit of a serial killer over a 17-year period. The second season, starring Colin Farrell, Rachel McAdams, Taylor Kitsch, Kelly Reilly, and Vince Vaughn,[1][2] is set in California, and focuses on three detectives from three cooperating police departments and a criminal-turned-businessman as they investigate a series of crimes they believed are linked to the murder of a corrupt politician.

[​IMG]

The first season received generally excellent reviews from critics and earned high ratings for HBO. It was nominated for and won numerous awards and other accolades, chiefly for its acting, cinematography, writing, and direction. The second season received generally favorable reviews, praising its acting, cinematography and action sequences, and maintained high viewership for HBO.

Source: wiki

Awesome show!! currently watching episode 5/ Season 1.
    I'm a bit disappointing that Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson won't be in the season's two cast though.

:thumbsup:

2. lexo

lexo Resident Elite Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    S2 is not as good as S1, although I liked the set-up much more. In my opinion, the plot and storytelling in both seasons is quite bad, but at least S1 had some more redeeming qualities (i.e. the acting).

3. Iris

Ratings:
    +493 / 53 / -10
    Season 1 was perfect, Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson nailed it. I enjoy watching them play, the plot was good ...the story line well written, tension build up and the psychological struggle of Rust was intense too.

Season 2, i'm currently watching episode 2 and i think i had enough. Vince Vaughn ???? wtf?? this killed it so bad for me.
    then it's boring. boring. boring. ep. 2 and i don't even know any names, nothing happened.

4. Iris

Ratings:
    +493 / 53 / -10
    nah, gave it up.
    Season 2 killed it for me.

5. Abrams

Abrams Unstoppable Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Following was much better,

6. forgotten in space

forgotten in space Champion Super Mod

Ratings:
    +269 / 19 / -7
    I think I'm finishing Olive Kitteridge and then watch this next.

7. lexo

lexo Resident Elite Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think that pretty much the only redeeming qualities of this show (apart from dat dope opening sequence) were the lead actors, among which Vince Vaughn was exceptionally good (even to my surprise).

8. Iris

Ratings:
    +493 / 53 / -10
    Don't even bother watching S2.
    Srly. :|

9. Iris

Ratings:
    +493 / 53 / -10
    But season one was very good, i loved it maybe i'll even rewatch someday .

10. forgotten in space

Ratings:
    +269 / 19 / -7
    Why does Woody Harrelson talks about his wife to the detectives? I understand we, the viewers, are being shown this stuff because it's the show's narrative going on during the investigation, but that doesn't mean it has to be inserted in the testimonial to the detectives..that just makes him seem like a rambling moron :tard:

11. forgotten in space

Ratings:
    +269 / 19 / -7
    prety decent at the end with that whole ancestral bayou thing...but the very ending (I mean the actual final conversation) was pretty gay.
    [SA]One thing that's okay is for Rust to finally show some vulnerability and drop the pessimist façade (or aspect of his personality if you don't think it's a façade), another is that quasi-religious bullshit and the Jeebus pose with Hart carrying him out of the weelchair :([/SA]

12. forgotten in space

Ratings:
    +269 / 19 / -7
    and the investigation
    [SA]a driven guy like Cohle is okay with not pursuing the cult?[/SA]

13. forgotten in space

Ratings:
    +269 / 19 / -7
    I don't know man, all these split opinions are definitely making me curious :|

14. forgotten in space

Ratings:
    +269 / 19 / -7
    finished Season 2. Rachel McAdams did a pretty good job, didn't know she was a capable actress :o Vince Vaughn was much more comfortable playing the cussing, loud gangster parts. The rest was just line reading. Having his wife say to him "you can't act for shit" was quite hillarious :van:

Overall it overcompensated for S1 where there were only 2 characters, here it had too many. You can focus on the main characters without having the remaining ones be paper thin. (S1 main culprit in this regard)
    It reseted mid way through the season which wasn't good and it was more investigation-based than S1, which I didn't mind. I also enjoyed the LA noir setting, so to me that is on par with the setting of S1. The opening sequence with the Leonard Cohen song was ace, probably better than the opening sequence in S1.

Overall though, this show doesn't exactly break new ground (S2 finale's is practically a mediocre pastiche of any cop drama, even with the intended nod to some Hollywood movies) The acting was overall quite good, the number of beautiful shots is through the roof, and there's definitely a world-weary "vision" that goes through both seasons, but both seasons have too many loose ends and irrelevant plot ends for me to consider it top, top shows. Quite watchable though. S1 was better. Both endings were lame.