The world`s first head transplant

Discussion in 'General forums' started by beer, Apr 12, 2015.

1. beer

beer T&G Elite Moderator

Ratings:
    +182 / 22 / -3
    [​IMG]
    World├óÔé¼Ôäós first head transplant volunteer could experience something "worse than death├óÔé¼
    "I would not wish this on anyone," says top surgeon.

BEC CREW
    10 APR 2015

This week, 30-year-old Russian man, Valery Spiridonov, announced that he will become the subject of the first human head transplant ever performed, saying he volunteers to have his head removed and installed on another person├óÔé¼Ôäós body.
    If this sounds like some kind of sick joke, we├óÔé¼Ôäóre right there with you, but unfortunately, this is all too real. Earlier this year, Italian surgeon Sergio Canavero outlined the transplant technique he intends to follow in the journal Surgical Neurology International, and said he planned to launch the project at the annual conference of the American Academy of Neurological and Orthopaedic Surgeons (AANOS) in the US in June, where he will invite other researchers to join him in his head transplant dream.
    At the time, it sounded completely outlandish - and it still is - but the difference now is that Canavero actually has a living, breathing volunteer willing to be the guinea pig for what Christopher Hootan at The Independent says is predicted to be a 36-hour operation requiring the assistance of 150 doctors and nurses. You can read about the procedure here.
    Hootan brings home what├óÔé¼Ôäós really at stake for Spiridonov - it├óÔé¼Ôäós not just death he has to worry about:

"A Werdnig-Hoffman disease sufferer with rapidly declining health, Spiridonov is willing to take a punt on this very experimental surgery and you can't really blame him, but while he is prepared for the possibility that the body will reject his head and he will die, his fate could be considerably worse than death,├óÔé¼ says Hootan.

"I would not wish this on anyone," said Dr Hunt Batjer, president elect of the American Association for Neurological Surgeons. "I would not allow anyone to do it to me as there are a lot of things worse than death."

From speaking to several medical experts, Hootan has pin-pointed a problem that even the most perfectly performed head transplant procedure cannot mitigate - we have literally no idea what this will do to Spiridonov├óÔé¼Ôäós mind. There├óÔé¼Ôäós no telling what the transplant - and all the new connections and foreign chemicals that his head and brain will have to suddenly deal with - will do to Spiridonov├óÔé¼Ôäós psyche, but as Hootan puts it rather chillingly, it "could result in a hitherto never experienced level and quality of insanity".
    This is actually happening, and we're terrified. Also, I├óÔé¼Ôäóve suddenly got a great idea for a movie, and judging from the creepy performance below, Canavero could pretty much be cast as himself:

[video=youtube;FV5pOO5Mt64]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FV5pOO5Mt64[/video]

World├óÔé¼Ôäós first head transplant volunteer could experience something "worse than death├óÔé¼

2. beer

beer T&G Elite Moderator

Ratings:
    +182 / 22 / -3
  3. beer

beer T&G Elite Moderator

Ratings:
    +182 / 22 / -3
    I don't think he's going to make it :tard:

I don't think he should make it anyway, what's next, a brain transplant and old people start to "trade" their decaying bodies in for a new suit ? :mistrust: :td:

4. beer

beer T&G Elite Moderator

Ratings:
    +182 / 22 / -3
    [MENTION=1]iris[/MENTION] [MENTION=104]Phantom[/MENTION] [MENTION=12]forgotten in space[/MENTION] [MENTION=93]lexo[/MENTION] [MENTION=15]Azazello[/MENTION]

5. Iris

Iris Superhero Member Admin

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    I just read the news a few days ago and i remembered that i posted something like this awhile ago, but back then it was just in an "crazy idea" state, i never thought that someone is seriously thinking to go trough a head transplant.

Now i don't know what to say. I read that they experienced on a dog and it dyed after a few days. Same happened with their mice experiments.
    As you said, beer, i don't think he'll make it trough :yesyes:

6. Phantom

Phantom Commander Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Oh boy. I read a lot about this shit.
    They did this with apes in the 60s. Nothing but the blood circulation to the brain was working and they all died a day after the surgery.
    I can't imagine worse horror than this :yao:

7. lexo

lexo Resident Elite Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    He'll die, most probably. The process/experiment itself has had mostly only negative feedback through peer review channels.

I welcome such undertakings, however. It raises interesting ethical questions. Cloning and "laboratory meat", to an extent, tread on similar paths.

8. forgotten in space

forgotten in space Champion Super Mod

Ratings:
    +239 / 19 / -7
    The connections and chemical issues will leave him crazy, if the operation goes well and he physically makes it..I take it he has the worst type of SMA and won't live long anyway? Then I suppose it kinda is up to individual doctors to carry on with this. More power to them :shrug:

9. raj

raj Resident Elite Registered Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I feel sad for him, for the good of science and his cause i wish the operation is somehow successful.

10. Iris

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    Any news on this? :mistrust:

11. beer

beer T&G Elite Moderator

Ratings:
    +182 / 22 / -3
    the interweb says it could be sometime in the next 2 years

12. Iris

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    What happened? They gave up the idea? :mistrust:

13. forgotten in space

Ratings:
    +239 / 19 / -7
  14. Iris

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    Probably @beer knows what's up

15. beer

beer T&G Elite Moderator

Ratings:
    +182 / 22 / -3
  16. Iris

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    What happened? :tard:

17. beer

beer T&G Elite Moderator

Ratings:
    +182 / 22 / -3
  18. forgotten in space

Ratings:
    +239 / 19 / -7
    so Dr. Frankenstein pissed off to China because he thinks he'll get more funds there. Won't the CP stick their heads (lel) into everything? :tard2:

19. Iris

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    This will bring nowhere... :nono:
    Thanks for the update.

Live Thread addon by sonnb