Psychologists and psychotherapy

Discussion in 'Grown Ups' started by Iris, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Iris

Iris Superhero Member Admin

Ratings:
    +447 / 45 / -10
    Do you think that psychologist and psychotherapies can be helpful or are they there just to eat your money!?
    Does anyone here have experience in the field?

[​IMG]

2. Azazello

Azazello Unstoppable Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I've been to a psychologist and a psychiatrist (mom sent me a few years ago :tard2:) To me it was pretty useless, cause I was mostly fine anyway and the stuff that wasn't fine I just lied about. But in general I think they can be very helpful. Some people just can't handle everything on their own. It would be much easier for them if they talked to a professional.

3. forgotten in space

forgotten in space Champion Super Mod

Ratings:
    +238 / 19 / -7
    I went to the school psychologist when I was in 6th or 7th grade. (inferiority complex and other thing not to be talked about here :o) She managed to help me via a simple challenge/bet. :thumbsup: :lol:

4. Phantom

Phantom Commander Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I was too when I was like 10 or so...
    :tard2:
    Can't remember why but I think I had some kind of epileptic behaviour every once in a while :yao:

5. lexo

lexo Resident Elite Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm assuming we're talking only strictly about professional psychologists (and psychiatrists) here. Apparently they can indeed help some people.
    Not me though, for example. In fact, I generally hold a rather negative opinion of psychologists.

6. Scorpion

Scorpion Junior Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think it's a job that anyone could probably do if they can sit and listen to people pour out their life. I was a DJ in the clubs back in the day and people would come up to me and just start talking about their life and their problems. Of course I think the alcohol helped them open up, but here I am a complete stranger to them and they would tell me some really private stuff. I listened and then I would give them my thoughts. I think for the most part people just want someone to listen to them.

Psychologists for the most part just sit there and listen. Then they might say well how does that make you feel. More times than not you figure out the problem yourself, you just needed a sounding board.

7. Iris

Iris Superhero Member Admin

Ratings:
    +447 / 45 / -10
    I kinda disagree with that. I did seek professional help awhile ago and it was very welcomed.
    Psychologists/ Psychiatrists don't treat only depression where yeah, there's a lot to hear. I used to deal for many years with panic attacks, anxiety and it was very difficult living that way. I could not figure a way out on my own and the psychologist spent a lot of time talking and teaching me techniques to deal with my issues. So no, there wasn't only a one way input. There are actually methods that help you cope and that's where a professional helps.

Not to mention that there are people out there who deal with paranoia, bipolar disorders and more serious sicknesses. I do not think that just listening is what cures them.

8. Scorpion

Scorpion Junior Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I guess my comment was more pointed at psychologists because they do more talking because that is more of what they are trained to do. Psychiatrists on the other hand, are usually physicians that have specific training in dealing with mental illness. They deal more with bipolar, manic depression, and the more serious mental diseases. I dated some women in the past that were bipolar, with manic depression and let me tell you it's no picnic. It's very scary stuff. But once they were on the right meds things were pretty smooth.