Physical books dying out?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Shrim, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Shrim

Shrim Come Here Often? Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know physical books are still made quite often, but with the way tech is going, do you think that physical books will stop being made eventually? And will kindles and other such e-readers take the helm and take over? Would you welcome it? Or would you rather have a physical book over a digital one?

2. forgotten in space

forgotten in space Champion Super Mod

Ratings:
    +239 / 19 / -7
    I'm not big on carrying gadgets around with me, so I'll always prefer a book. :o

3. AndrewT

AndrewT Come Here Often? Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Me too. I prefer books and even newspapers :) I don't know why but I got another feeling when I hold a book. This feeling will probably be gone in few decades.

4. Iris

Iris Superhero Member Admin

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    +1 for paper books.
    I got an ereader a few months ago and i literary turned it on five-ten times :yesyes: I even forgot where i placed it.
    Nothing beats a nice private library.

5. TravisM

TravisM Come Here Often? Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Books to me have that nostalgic feel for me. I love buying used books and just adding good books to my collection. I love the smell of older books too. I know that sounds weird, but I don't care. Anyways, I really do think that they're going to be phased out one day, and just digital media will survive.

6. Jupiter Zero

Jupiter Zero Novice Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have noticed everyone is either using their computer, an Ipad or an Amazon tablet or something. I personally prefer paper because that's what I grew up with.

7. Iris

Iris Superhero Member Admin

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    Physical Books are more expensive than e-books, people still prefer them over e-books
    And no, i don't think this will change in the nearby future

I have spoken! :o

8. Drummerman

Drummerman Unstoppable Registered Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I really don't hope so. I like reading, I just "don't have the time to", and when I do, I can read like 500 pages in a few days (I read a book in English in like 4 days, over 200 pages in one night, just to get it done before a school task :tard2:). I used to read a lot until I was like 13, but I have read the Harry Potter series once after this, and all Dan Brown's book, and I'm working my way through Andy McDermott's books at the moment, along with a lot of Norwegian author's books. Can't say I don't read at the moment :tard2: I like reading lyrics too, and writing lyrics.

9. Scorpion

Scorpion Junior Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, eventually digital books will take over much like the CD took over vinyl records and now mp3 has taken over the CD. The price will start to climb on paper books as demand declines. Today you can still get vinyl records of some new releases, but the price is expensive. Publishers will eventually move more towards digital and try to find a way to make money off of all the self publishing authors out there by offering promotional services. The future Steven Kings and Dan Browns of the world will be self publishing authors in the future and won't need a publishing company or even an agent. They will be able to handle it on their own through social media and self promotion.

Personally, I sold most of my paper books already, I think I have maybe 50 left, mostly business related books I can't find digital copies of. I know everybody always says I love the way a book feels, but give me my Kindle and let me load it up. The books cost less and you can get a lot of them free. If you would have told me 20 years ago I'd be carrying over a thousand books in the palm of my hand in the future I would have said yeah right.