Old fashioned hobbies

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Stacey, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Stacey

Stacey Come Here Often? Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    By old fashioned I mean collecting stamps, baseball cards, comic books, and anything really that's old fashioned. Maybe spoons for all we know. I was wondering because many people these days collect mostly video games, movies, portraits, and action figures, but I want to know if anyone still collects stamps, post cards, or other hobbies we don't really see that much these days.

2. beer

beer T&G Elite Moderator

Ratings:
    +182 / 22 / -3
    used to collect stamps and coins as a kid :D

still have those boxes parked in some dusty corner somewhere, and considering how snail mail has mostly died and so many of the currencies are no longer around, some of those might actually be worth something now or in the future :|

or at least there's some novelty to those things now :banana7:

I remember the vatican city stamps were the most prized ones back then, those were quite rare, those and some first day cover from Detroit, classic car stamps from the late 80's, those are framed and hanging in a corner.. just noticed :|

yeah, stamps and coins :rastard:

3. Iris

Iris Superhero Member Admin

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    My dad used to collect stamps and i have many of his albums somewhere in Romania.
    Also, i used to collect old fashion napkins with different models. My aunt had a big collection and when i started going to school, back in the day i brought my contribution too :o

That's pretty much it for me.

4. AndrewT

AndrewT Come Here Often? Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    A friend of mine collected small sugar bags (I don't know if this is the correct term) from different cafes, because almost every cafe has their own unique sugar bags/sticks...but I don't know if this is old fashioned hobby or just weird hobby :)

5. PaulM

PaulM Come Here Often? Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I never understood the collecting thing. I have a friend that collects menus from different restaurants. I could see if he were a chef looking for inspiration, but he's got a Waffle House menu for god's sake. I've always hated clutter, and quite frankly, even before I started traveling full time, I owned very little. Now all I own, in the entire world, can fit into my backpack and daypack, picked up, and moved to where ever I decide to live next.

6. forgotten in space

forgotten in space Champion Super Mod

Ratings:
    +239 / 19 / -7
    yeah I agree with paul, I hate stuff/junk/clutter.

when I was a kid my dad used to collect stamps though, and I used to think those books to paste the stamps on (with the grid lines and stuff) were a regular word pad so one time I just ruined them with a pen drawing cops and thieves :lol:

7. Britanica

Britanica Junior Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am not a huge collector. I would like to get some miniatures though. Other than that, I do have collections of anything other than too much clothes/shoes haha