Modern Times

Discussion in 'Grown Ups' started by Iris, Sep 22, 2016.

?

Aren't you all tired of all this modern bullshit!?

1. I sure am

2. No, not really

3. Bacon

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Iris

Iris Superhero Member Admin

Ratings:
    +447 / 45 / -10
    I read about this on another forum just the other day and it resonated so much with my feelings.
    Aren't you all tired of all this modern bullshit!? - media, music, press, clothing styles, social media. Everything, but everything seems so superficial nowadays. Do you ever get the feeling that you just don't fit in, that you don't find your place in this modern times?

I'm sure it's not a simple subject and there are many gray nuances in between this black and white, but i sure feel like oldies were the goldies. People seemed to enjoy life so much better and they lived so much more intense than we do. :yesyes:

[​IMG]

@forgotten in space @beer @Sheolite @lexo @Phantom @boothjorden @raj

2. forgotten in space

forgotten in space Champion Super Mod

Ratings:
    +238 / 19 / -7
    I don't feel like I fit in a very consumerist society that forces us to build ourselves up like a brand and that requires us to be connected and engaged all the time, under the risk of exploitation and burnout.
    I don't like the current political atmosphere, the decay in journalism standards and the consequent drop in quality in the public sphere and discussion of issues.
    I don't like that things that I usually enjoy like sports are bent beyond recognition by money money money.

But at the same time I'm not prone to nostalgia or to romanticise the past. Because it might be distorted through the eyes of childhood instead of things being actually better those days. Growing up playing outside instead of with smart phones was very good though.
    Music is awesome and diverse and challenging and fucked up these days even if there aren't consensus big acts anymore and you have to search way more for it.

So yeah, I prefer to frame clearly what I dislike (consumerism, political direction, job market unrealistic demands) than to just make a more general connection to "modern times", because I grew up in the 80s 90s and those were modern times too :P

3. forgotten in space

forgotten in space Champion Super Mod

Ratings:
    +238 / 19 / -7
  4. Iris

Iris Superhero Member Admin

Ratings:
    +447 / 45 / -10
    That's such a revelation to me, I never thought that the past looks so bright because in retrospective i see what i lived as a child, when life was free of responsibilities. It's still the only period of time that we took a taste of what freedom means, living the present without the sorrow of the past and without the worry of tomorrow.

Back on the subject though, i still think that looking back at what my parents life was like when of my age, it still seems like they got more out of each day than we do. People used to interact with each other, used to hang infront of a camp fire cooking corn or something, watching the stars. Damn!! i can't stop myself from craving the peace of mind they must have felt without something else to do, but watch the start on late friday nights or go to a disco with the friends. Now we live in boxes, we open our eyes and before even waking up we find ourselves scrolling on endless timeline posts, checking our inbox in 10 different places and before stepping out of the bed you're just running trough your day. Yeah, nowadays everything is on a hurry, you can't have a moment of respiro to catch your breath - recharge your batteries. So many years have passed and i have no memories gathered because life seems to pass just trough me, you know... i'm more like a spectator than an active player.

5. Sheolite

Sheolite T&G Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 2 / -0
    I hate fads, fashions, cliques, popularity, vanity, etc. in general. Give me back my solitude and realistic outlook back, please.

• Like Like x 3
  6. gypsy_tears

gypsy_tears T&G Master Registered Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    very tight poll. This is the kind of poll Trump would feel like he's winning, ey @beer? :tard2:

srsly though, no. Not tired of all this 'modern shit'.

I'm more tired of the people around me and they way they use their 'modern shit' :O

• Like Like x 2
  7. gypsy_tears

gypsy_tears T&G Master Registered Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    #LetsMakeEarthGreatAgain :tremendous:

• Like Like x 2