Man fined by court for trolling of Reddit

Discussion in 'News' started by Iris, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Iris

Iris Superhero Member Admin

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    <<This is the internet troll who made vile comments about tragic teenager Mzee Mohammed .
    Rowan OÔÇÖConnell, 23, was hit with a fine by magistrates today over the sick outburst following the death of Mzee, 18.The ÔÇ£gentle giantÔÇØ died after becoming unwell in the custody of police officers at Liverpool ONE in July.OÔÇÖConnell took to social media website Reddit, where he made baseless allegations, labelling Mzee a ÔÇ£good for nothing, spice smoking, Toxteth monkeyÔÇØ.

He added: ÔÇ£As I say, who gives a f***.ÔÇØ

[​IMG]

OÔÇÖConnell, of Back North Crescent in Lytham St Annes, Lancs, pleaded guilty to sending a communication of an indecent or offensive nature at Sefton MagistratesÔÇÖ Court today.He was fined ┬ú275 and ordered to pay costs of ┬ú115.OÔÇÖConnell admitted ÔÇ£going trollingÔÇØ during a discussion by Reddit users linked to an ECHO report about the incident on July 17 ÔÇô under the anonymous account Rolfy 420.David Maxwell, prosecuting, told the court the post was spotted by a police officer ÔÇ£conducting intelligence researchÔÇØ.>>

Source: liverpoolecho

So i guess you must be careful what you say online... even under an anonymous account? :| Hm

2. forgotten in space

forgotten in space Champion Super Mod

Ratings:
    +239 / 19 / -7
    remember the one a while ago of the guy who sent text to his ex or soemthing like that? :|

3. forgotten in space

Ratings:
    +239 / 19 / -7
    do you think they went too far, the authorities?

4. Iris

Iris Superhero Member Admin

Ratings:
    +449 / 46 / -10
    I read the thread you brought up again. Totally forgot about it. :yao:

Absolutely. :|
    I mean the dude was a douchebag and a total troll, no talk about it - but it was just a remark, he didn't harass no one, he didn't cause mental distress to anyone, he just stated his opinion (which to most of the people it was offensive, of course) yet it was his right to say it. No ?

5. forgotten in space

Ratings:
    +239 / 19 / -7
    I think it's a fascinating thing to follow, including the new media platforms in the public realm, treating cases of abuse and misdemeanors like they would be treated "in real life", but since it's pretty new there's definitely a danger of the authorities overreaching and being more punitive than they would be "in real life". This seems to be one of those cases..what he did seems to be the equivalent of being a loud asshole.

6. beer

beer T&G Elite Moderator

Ratings:
    +182 / 22 / -3
    fined for trolling on reddit ? :nono:

fuck the internet police state