Is North Korea a threat?

Discussion in 'Grown Ups' started by Brem, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Brem

Brem Come Here Often? Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    With all this news going on about North Korea in the recent months and the past year, I was wondering if there's a realistic chance that North Korea is a threat to the world? I know they have rockets and all that nonsense, but are they a threat to the world in any way? I know the US doesn't really care too much about what they're doing unless they're hacking movie studios or something.

Do you think a war will ever break out with North Korea being responsible?

2. beer

beer T&G Elite Moderator

Ratings:
    +181 / 22 / -3
    no, I doubt there will ever be a war of aggression that they start. They have only 1 beef, grouse, score to settle.. and it's to do with reunifying the 2 Koreas. They won't ever start shit because they know how hopelessly outmatched they are, both in technology and in numbers against the US.. and thanks to the bomb, the US is smart enough itself to know not to invade.

The bomb:
    North Korean nuke and rocket tech is still pretty crude, so even if they lob a few rockets aiming at the US west coast, they'll be easily intercepted by US ballistic missile defence systems. We know they have rockets that could theoretically maybe reach there, but we doubt if they have enough tech to have mastered the nuclear weapon enough to miniaturize it to be put on their rockets. (no good having a nuke if it's the size of a city block, immovable and only good for blowing yourself up :lol:)

The real threat is, if invaded proper (US tanks/troops rolling into their country) they might set a bomb off killing everyone, both invaders and locals.

So no, I don't think they are a threat to the world at large.. they're too smart and know that it'll end very badly for them if they try pulling any tricks. The hacking shit was fake hollywood PR hype for a really bad movie. Objecting to a movie release and threatening terror attacks is just not their style, DPRK are more likely to have very animated anchors on their local news saying "black imperialist mongrel obama is defaming our dear leader, we will fry him in a sea or fire.." or something of the sort..

here's a real vid of one of their rocket launches:
    [video=youtube;h7N5HJso9e8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7N5HJso9e8[/video]

as far as the DPRK is concerned, they're still in a state of war.. it only "ended" with the signing of an armistice in 1953

[video=youtube;096hnKDw5tc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=096hnKDw5tc[/video].
    :walk: :walk:

3. forgotten in space

forgotten in space Champion Super Mod

Ratings:
    +238 / 19 / -7
    beer to the rescue :van:

I was thinking the same re: their ability to launch missile attacks, but had no certainty..I mean, people doubt their ability to be behind the Sony hack, so... :lol:

4. Brem

Brem Come Here Often? Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I honestly can't see them being responsible for the Sony hack, unless they kidnapped someone from South Korea and made that person so it, and even then I doubt that would work.

5. Benatel

Benatel Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    They are not that strong, lol. They even still need aid from China : food, weapon,... almost everything.
    My country people have a proverb : An empty box is the box can create biggest sound.