House of Cards

Discussion in 'Movies & Tv Shows' started by Iris, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Iris

Iris Superhero Member Admin

Ratings:
    +493 / 53 / -10
    Great show!! I'm very happy that i gave it a go and another chance after Season 2's beginning.
    Probably the best HD, image quality - tone i ever saw in a tv show.

[​IMG]

Kevin Spacey only ringed a bell due to American Beauty, but now he definitely made a great outcome. I hate him and i like him in the same time, that's a good thing i suppose :lol:
    Robin Wright was perfect for Claire, that grace !!
    "Doug" was one of my favorites as well, i still have high expectations for his character.

Currently watching Season 3 - Episode 5 (or 6?) -> losing track might be a good sign. :lol:

2. Iris

Ratings:
    +493 / 53 / -10
    I knew I saw Doug somewhere else.
    He played in "Changeling" :thumbsup:

3. Iris

Ratings:
    +493 / 53 / -10
    And I just finished season 3.
    One of the best and my personal favorite.

I'm looking forward to the 4th season, although they didn't even announced it. This is going to take awhile :yesyes:

4. lexo

lexo Resident Elite Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think they get financing even from taxes (needs confirmation), it doesn't seem to be overly expensive to produce, plus the show is even "endorsed" by the Obamas. I think it will get picked up for another season.

5. Iris

Ratings:
    +493 / 53 / -10
    I guess "the fall" will happen then.
    But the question is when?

6. Iris

Ratings:
    +493 / 53 / -10
    I read it's supposed to be 52 chapters, like a deck of cards :o

7. lexo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    That's a nice theory, I've heard of it as well (a little arbitrary, though, imo).

I'll just enjoy the ride as long as it lasts. Even if it ends, something else will surely pick up its' niche.

What do you like about this show, Iris? The camerawork, the political-drama aspect, the acting in general?

8. Iris

Ratings:
    +493 / 53 / -10

[MENTION=93]lexo[/MENTION] , Are you done with Season 3 yet? So i don't spoil anything for you. :o because by the time you'll be trough the season you'll definitely NEED a season 4, i can guarantee that.

I liked the political drama, i never watch a similar show and although per see i'm definitely not into politics and i understand very little of it all, i liked it. It was very catch and each episode (i mean each episode) had a charm. I think the proper balance between politics and drama made it awesome. I lost a little bit track in Season 2, things got pretty messy political wise, but by the middle of it, I was right back and enjoyed it. What i also liked is that it kept it real most of the times and the facts that they shows are very well happening behind curtains, although I found it hard to digest all the things Claire and Frank got away with.

There's no need to mention how much i loved the quality of the image, for me it was very innovative, the awesome angles it was shoot, the tones all this came together into an absolutely stunning result. It's what I noticed and struck me at ep.1

The directing was also very good. Hands down, "claire" did a good work with those 3 episodes he directed and i read somewhere that Judie Foster also directed 1 episode, which is quite cool.

The acting, as I said in my first posts here, *bowing* to Robin Wright. Absolutely stunning and incredible fit into the character. I loved her "power woman" attitude, yet all that grace she kept in. Really awesome job. As about Kevin Spacey, beautiful, he did good work, he was indeed the "badass" required, but i'm not veeery 100% convinced about the choice. It might have been appearance related, cause he played awesome otherwise. I felt that he needed to get rid of that belly and lose some weight all along :o

9. lexo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I've watched the whole season, yeah.

I guess I agree with you on most points you've mentioned. Claire's character, especially in season 3, is certainly very well written and acted. She and Doug are the most interesting characters (as opposed to the ribs-joint guy. Still can't figure out what was the point of the episode that was wholly dedicated to him :P ).

David Fincher's touch was what initially hooked me on the show. Great director.

Oh and I agree that Kevin Spacey was an odd casting choice. For me, he has always been a "funny guy". I've seen some stand-up that he's done, a play, and I saw American Beauty when I didn't watch almost any movies or wasn't very tech-savvy at all, so it kind-of left an ever-lasting impression... Oh, and his over-the-top southern accent felt off, but now the show has already gone to full-satire-mode so it kind of hits the spot.

Anyway, I asked what you liked about House of Cards so I could maybe suggest something else that's good as well. If you want good visuals, maybe try Hannibal. For poli-/social- drama, maybe Newsroom? Mad Men is also interesting visually, but mostly because it's a period drama, perhaps. Good character development, but kind-of slow paced, though. You've already seen Fargo... try True Detective.
    Too many good shows, much too few hours in a day (*siiiiigh*. Maybe stay away from them altogether.*

*Not really, though. Good TV shows and movies are legitimate forms of art, imho. Nothing wrong with enjoying them. :)

10. Iris

Ratings:
    +493 / 53 / -10
    I haven't watched Fargo - the show. I only checked out the movie. Not sure if you're talking about a tv show.

And yeah, not really looking to get into another show, i'm already watching Better Call Saul and enough movies to fill what's left of my spare time. I'm glad i was able to finish with Season 3 of House of Cards while i was still on holidays . When i'm working there's not enough time for photo, forums, movies and tv shows. Gotta choose carefully between them all.

Glad you mentioned Doug. I really loved his character although his loyalty bothered me a little. One is to be loyal and another complete thing is to be so selfless... Frank's attitude towards him in this last season was not to be forgiven. I somehow was very looking forward at a real connection between Dough and Dunbar. :o

Also. Rachel :|

11. Iris

Ratings:
    +493 / 53 / -10
    Season 4 is here.
    Really excited about the 5 new episodes, didn't watch them yet so no spoilers please

[MENTION=93]lexo[/MENTION] , [MENTION=16]Abrams[/MENTION]

12. Iris

Ratings:
    +493 / 53 / -10
    I totally abandoned this show. This is the bad part about watching series that are still running.
    It always takes forever for a new season to come up and when it's finally released, either you lost interest or you're busy watching something else.
    But i guess i won't even bother since Spacey is out. :shrug: