German police sue American professor calling them 'Nazis'

Discussion in 'Grown Ups' started by Iris, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Iris

Iris Superhero Member Admin

Ratings:
    +493 / 53 / -10
    German police are suing a female American academic after she called them 'Nazis' in a row over liquids in her carry-on bag at Frankfurt International Airport. Professor of Peace and Security Studies at Georgetown University, C Christine Fairs, is alleged to have hurled abuse at the officers after being refused boarding. Police say the 49-year-old woman became 'unreasonable and irritated' when they told her she had too many liquids in her carry-on during a screening for explosives.

[​IMG]

It was at this point, police say, that she called them 'f****** b*******' and 'f******* German Nazi police' - claims denied by Fairs. She instead claims the Nazi comments were indirectly about a young, fellow traveller sporting a 'Hitler Youth' haircut who seemed to have avoided the attention of airport staff. In a 4,000 word description of the events published in the Huffington Post, Fairs wrote: 'I was literally framed, arrested and, for all intents and purposes, robbed by the Frankfurt airport and German state police.'

Adding about the fellow traveller: '[Police] were too busy ... to notice the fellow conspicuously sporting the preferred coiffure of the Hitler’s Youth.'

She described the events further in her Huffington Post blog: 'As I put my tampons, cruddy travel panties and long-worn travel bras back into my suitcase, I muttered to myself while shaking my head “The crack German police have seized my deodorant…but they don’t seem to care about that Nazi-looking dude over there!”
    'And, as I was still shaking my head in disbelief, I was actually arrested.' The altercation has led to preliminary criminal proceedings being brought against her on suspicion of slander, plus a £181-fine (€207) for any subsequent legal expenses.

Full article : Daily Mail

2. Iris

Ratings:
    +493 / 53 / -10
    What do you guys think, is this freedom of speech violation or did she take it too far?

I know that in other country "nazi" lost a little bit of its weight/gravity and it's often used like, for example: "grammar nazi", but here in Germany I seriously don't see myself running around calling people "nazis" because it would actually be taken literary, like you imply that he/she was part of Hitler's party. I mean you don't even feel comfortable whispering the word "nazi" in public unless you're at a history lesson or something :lol:

And after all, of all the words out there and all the possible insults that you can bring up to a police-man, did she really had to go the "nazi" way ?

@forgotten in space @Nazeboo @beer @Sheolite @lexo @ozone @boothjorden @Abrams @Phantom @raj @gypsy_tears @Drummerman @JustFred

3. forgotten in space

forgotten in space Champion Super Mod

Ratings:
    +269 / 19 / -7
    A "Peace" Studies professor actually profiling some dude as a Nazi because of an haircut :dave1:

4. Iris

Ratings:
    +493 / 53 / -10

Yeah, that's messed up. It strike me too.
    But what about the lawsuit? were they entitled or what? :mistrust:

5. forgotten in space

forgotten in space Champion Super Mod

Ratings:
    +269 / 19 / -7
    As for the charge including "slander", that does seem a bit of overreach, though not sure if it infringes her freedom of speech as you say.

From an airflight situation it seems like she was a rude passenger and definitely deserves some penalty, but surely not a full blown criminal charge? :huh:

6. Sheolite

Sheolite T&G Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 3 / -0
    I'm glad this happened. Here in America everybody is so sensitive about everything.

7. ozone

ozone T&G Master Registered Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    There is so much prejudice in people :nono: i think she just got pissed off cuz the hassled her cuz of all the liquids in her bag and she let her mouth write a check her ass cant cash. And they called her bluff for it but slander is a bit of a stretch idk if it will stick or not How many liquids in your bag do you need lady? :jc:

8. beer

beer T&G Elite Moderator

Ratings:
    +191 / 23 / -3
    I've been a longtime admirer of c fair owing to her stance on security issues in my neck of the woods but started hating her after she went super anti Trump.

Gas the bitch.