Do you fear social interactions?

Discussion in 'Grown Ups' started by Brem, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Brem

Brem Come Here Often? Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Since I deal with social anxiety, and have for most of my life, social interactions haven't been fun for me. Not really at all. Anyways, I was wondering, does anyone here fear social interaction with people? Even if you're not suffering from social anxiety, have you ever had that moment where you were scared in a social situation? Maybe it was doing a speech or meeting the girl or guy of your dreams?

2. forgotten in space

forgotten in space Champion Super Mod

Ratings:
    +238 / 19 / -7
    Oh, I suck at oral presentations, definitely. When I was defending my Master's thesis I was so nervous I kept making noise by pen-click and the president of the Jury actually let out a "stay still, man! for christ's sake!" :lol:

3. felix

felix Junior Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have the hardest time with most social interactions, especially when it comes to meeting and talking to girls. What works for me is when I am about to go up to a girl I count to 3 (not out loud) and just start a conversation with them. With oral presentations I tend to stay very still and calm down as the presentation moves forward. I could go without having to present something ever again. :fear1:

4. Brem

Brem Come Here Often? Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Presentations are the worst for me. I can't stand them. When I was in college last year, I had to present a paper I wrote, and it happened to be about my social anxiety. It sucked big time and I sounded like I was about to cry, in reality I was just so damn scared. It did help to have music play in the background of my presentation, but it was no fun. The thing that made it easier was that there were other depressing presentations where people actually cried. Which kind of made it even harder for me to handle it.

But yeah, I can talk to some women, but it's really hard for me. For example, in high school, one of my friends entered me into a contest to win a dance or something, and I was freaking out. Like seriously pissed because he was trying to get people to vote for me.

Back to college, during the same class I did my presentation in, we had to do a 1 on 1 discussion with someone. I got paired up with this girl. It wasn't too bad, but I felt really awkward and didn't know what to talk about. I tried establishing eye contact, but it was rough. If I'm in a group with women, it seems to be a lot easier, but I think when it's 1 on 1 it's harder, because it's focused on me.

When I was a kid, I just thought I was shy. Elementary school wasn't bad, I was actually talkative with people. But middle school was where I started I think. Mainly because I was somewhat bullied so maybe I fear I'm going to get bullied again.

5. raj

raj Resident Elite Registered Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I'm an instructor and I have to teach and almost every week I have to teach a new bunch of people who I've never seen and from different countries, I initially found that difficult, however it helps to be calm and be in control.
    what I have trouble with is talking to people in social settings in parties, dances and stuff like that, its very awkward and I feel like a fish out of water.

6. Rocklin

Rocklin T&G Senior Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a feeling people won't like me whatever I do so I'm like pacing around a lot. I wouldn't call it social anxiety but I'm just weird like that.

7. Nardia

Nardia Rookie User Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used to have a fear of speaking until my late
    Husband said "don't worry" you know more about the subject than they do so they can't slag you. I don't like gossip so find men easier to talk to.