Binging On Fatty Foods Quick Road To Diabetes

Discussion in 'Health and Workouts' started by Scorpion, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Scorpion

Scorpion Junior Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I read an interesting article on Yahoo Health the other day. Researchers fed 12 college-aged men high-fat diets, like sausage biscuits, mac and cheese, and butter-loaded foods. After 12 days their overall caloric intake stayed the same, and they didn├óÔé¼Ôäót gain weight. After five days on those fatty foods, the muscle's ability to oxidize glucose was disrupted.

When we eat a meal, the body├óÔé¼Ôäós glucose levels rise. Muscle is a key clearinghouse for glucose, breaking it down for a burst of energy or storing it to be used later. Body weight is 30 percent muscle, and that muscle is a major player in glucose metabolism, Alterations in normal metabolism may lead to health conditions like diabetes down the road. Just another reason to eat a balanced diet, and stick to roughly 25 percent fat in your diet. So those holiday and weekend binges might not be so good.

Full Article

2. Iris

Iris Superhero Member Admin

Ratings:
    +449 / 45 / -10
    I rarely eat fat foods. That was one of the advantages of becoming a vegetarian.
    Probably the only fats intake is from yellow cheeses that i like to have as snack once in awhile, but other than that i try to stick with skimmed milk and yogurts, i avoid chocolate, peanut butter & co. My husband also rarely consumes pork meat at all or bacon, mostly i cook chicken or some beef.

Interesting read though. Thanks for the share :thumbsup:

3. forgotten in space

forgotten in space Champion Super Mod

Ratings:
    +239 / 19 / -7
    even if they almost never happen? :o

4. lexo

lexo Resident Elite Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Another article that concludes with that we should eat a balanced meal? Heh.

[...] irrelevant stuff [...] Anyway, I digress...

Generally, I believe the occasional binge on whatever (be it food, entertainment, sleep...) is good for you. The human body should be robust enough (disclaimer: I'm not advocating binging. If you have pre-existing health conditions, please be mindful) to bounce back good enough, and the psyche might need it. :)