Are Humans social Creatures?

Discussion in 'Grown Ups' started by Iris, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Iris

Iris Superhero Member Admin

Ratings:
    +447 / 45 / -10
    How about n├â┬Â!?

For a very long time i thought about myself that i'm somehow ...abnormal because i didn't fit the description. I'm not sociable and i don't have the need to socialize. I'm talking about real life socialization, like meeting with friends, making new friends, talking stuff at a cup of coffee or enjoying a conversation with a glass of beer and company.

I just feel well and comfortable in my isolation, people complicate my life - always unappropriated visits or phone calls or this sort of duties. Like if you visited me, i must return the visit. Always carefully choosing your words in order to avoid butt hurting much the people around you. Honestly, the moment i finished high-school and i left away from my home town, moving in a different country - knowing absolutely noone it was like ...i started breathing again, i felt so free and calm.

[​IMG]

Currently, after 7 years, i still have no friends around and i'm so very much okay with it. I enjoy my solitude and for the first time i'm okay with being the way i am, not trying to be sociable just to ...fit in. So that statement is just false.

What do you guys think? Is socialization a must? are we the so called "social creatures" ?

2. forgotten in space

forgotten in space Champion Super Mod

Ratings:
    +238 / 19 / -7
    The existence of individuals with an asocial psychological character doesn't disprove the fact that the human race as a whole is pretty much THE social creature, from basic forms of group living to how we develop through language use, to bonding and how our collective and individual relationships are prolonged and maintained through time (our life span). :o

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2015
  3. Iris

Ratings:
    +447 / 45 / -10
    What about you, [MENTION=12]forgotten in space[/MENTION]. Do you fit the "social creature" description? :o

4. Iris

Ratings:
    +447 / 45 / -10
    We could make this thread a little bit more personalized :o

5. Azazello

Azazello Unstoppable Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Alright. I guess I'm exactly what you'd call a social creature. I can't be alone half a day without starting to crave human contact. However, I'm quite a reserved person so I don't like communicating that much, at least not with anyone I don't know very well. Being around other people is enough for me.

6. forgotten in space

forgotten in space Champion Super Mod

Ratings:
    +238 / 19 / -7
    I think I do. Only because I'm somewhat introverted, my energy and "focus" (sort of like attention span) is drained quicker and I can tolerate not being around people/doing things for bigger amounts of time than your regular NORPs :P
    Related but not the same thing, since I'm a bit shy and crap at communicating, I tend to take way longer to make friends. I guess I'm friendly and sociable enough (not that high as most people perhaps :tard2:), but past that initial "acquaintance" stage I don't really connect easily. And in addition to that, there are some instances when I just don't give a shit about making the effort, so.. :yao:

7. lexo

lexo Resident Elite Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    As the human mind evolves and becomes more sophisticated, "anomalies" are more likely to rise as well (these anomalies are in fact the cause of innovation, which leads to the aforementioned evolution). If a person detaches him-/herself from society too much, then on one hand, his/her mind has fewer boundaries and can come up with some pretty neat stuff, but on the other hand, also develop some not-so-cool or just weird thought-patterns as well. In the most harmless case, some weird habits.

As forgotten in space mentioned, humans are indeed pretty much the social creatures. It's (the extent of how much we rely on and benefit from the societies we live in) what separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom. Too much of it and we might become a hive-mind, too little and we wouldn't have even come out from our caves in the Stone Age. It's our need to think and ponder, then share, and eventually pass on our inner musings what makes us (the most) human.

Talking about introversion and extroversion, I believe they're on a spectrum and people should have a healthy amount of both while being able to "tap in to" more of one than the other (and vice-versa) from time-to-time. Of course anyone can feel personally more comfortable being closer to only one of them, either introversion or extroversion. But in general, I think we already have too many labels...

These are just my (partial) opinions, though.

8. beer

beer T&G Elite Moderator

Ratings:
    +181 / 22 / -3
    some are, some not so much.. about me, I'm definitely not the type to chat up strangers (well, women sometimes, after a drink or two :P) but not generally, and definitely more in my comfort zone with known quantities and familiar peeps (at least back home)

If I'm traveling, different story.. great to meet random people have a smoke/drink and chit chat.

overall I prefer my solitude, or my falkreath, riften is cool too :nerd: (skyrim reference)

and I find overly gregarious people slightly annoying, the kind who need to be in the company of others, or they'll start to feel bummed out :tard:

but I know some very socially active people too, always looking for the next event, party, thing.. good people, just not my thing :shrug:

9. Brem

Brem Come Here Often? Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I haven't met new friends since high school, and that was back in 2008. Well I did get some new friends from other friends, but I didn't socialize often in college. I deal with social anxiety myself, so I often don't like to talk to people and get to know people. I am starting to post on reddit more often these days, and I'm talking to some cool people, so maybe I'll get some new friends this way. Anyways, I think we're only social in our group.

Think back to the hunter-gatherer societies. They grouped up with a small amount of people and that's how their lives went. Or so I imagine. I doubt they went out and tried to meet other people and groups, but I can't be so sure on that.

But I think we as people, have grown to be more social, but I myself am just not fond of being social.

10. Sheolite

Sheolite T&G Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 2 / -0
    I am not a social person at all and most of my coworkers find that hard to believe since people are always talking to me and I'm well-liked but it's just another job skill I picked up along the way but in reality I hate being liked in all honesty because it's too much of a burden. I don't let people get close to me and I hate being touched or hugged but when I find a friend I make sure to value that friendship but even then I prefer to not visit, text, etc. I'm dog loyal with a cat personality.

11. felix

felix Junior Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I personally think that there are different levels to the "Social Creature." There are those of us that are more social than others, but we are all social in some sort of way.